According to Wikipedia, on September 8, 1994, Gabrielino High School opened its doors to its first class. That was 20 years ago today so Happy Anniversary GHS! We’ve come a long way.
Congratulations to the GHS JV and Varsity Football teams for securing their first win of the season! It was a big win too against the Don Bosco Tigers with a final score of 33-8 for the JV team, and 49-6 for the Varsity team. The Gabrielino Eagles Marching Regiment also looked good as they debuted their new uniforms. Great job all-around!
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. Specific GHS PTSA events are noted below in blue.
- Monday, Sept. 8: School pictures. If you ordered school pictures during registration days, please see Mrs. Sanchez in the Student Center to pick them up. Make-up pictures will be taken on September 16.
- Monday, Sept. 8: GHS Parent Information Night, 6:00 pm, Goodson Theatre. There will also be a brief GHS PTSA Association meeting held at this time. Classroom visits will start with 1st Period at 7:08 pm.
- Tuesday, Sept. 9: Minimum Day, school is in session from 8:00 am to 11:25 am. All students will be dismissed at 11:25 am.
- Tuesday, Sept. 9: Student School Site Council elections to be held during second period. Candidates can confirm their name on the ballot by checking with Mr. Weir in the Student Center.
- Tuesday, Sept. 9: Dog Haus Fundraiser (every Tuesday): The Dog Haus with locations in Alhambra and Pasadena is once again supporting the GHS PTSA this year. Stop by any Tuesday, present the linked flyer and a portion of the sale will support the school.
- Wednesday, Sept. 10: Starting today, the Library will be open from 7:30 am to 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Thanks to the generous funding support from the San Gabriel Educational Foundation (SEF) for making this happen.
- Wednesday, Sept. 10: Club Rush. Every GHS club will be out today in the Quad. Stop by and check out which ones you may like to get involved in.
- Wednesday, Sept. 10: Girls Volleyball, Garey HS Tournament, 3:00 pm; the Freshmen team plays at 4:30 pm.
- Thursday, Sept. 11: Interested in taking part in the GHS Fall Play, “The Importance of Being Earnest”? Come to an informational meeting today at 12:30 pm in the Drama Room. Everyone is welcome!
- Thursday, Sept. 11: GHS Football v. Rio Hondo Prep, JV plays at 3:15 pm and the Varsity team plays at 7 pm.
- Friday, Sept. 12: Girls Volleyball v. Monrovia, JV at 5:00 pm, Varsity at 6:00 pm, Large Gym; the Freshmen team plays at 5 pm, Small Gym.
Keep these in mind for next week:
- Tuesday, Sept. 16: Make up pictures Day. All students who did not take their ID pictures during registration days can take during this make up day.
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: Late Start Day, school is in session from 9:40 am to 2:55 pm. All students must arrive on campus by 9:30 am.
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: GHS School Site Council meeting, 6 pm, Principal’s Conference Room.
- Saturday, Sept. 20: GHS Speech & Debate, Icebreaker Tournament at GHS, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm.
- Don’t forget about SEF’s “Dinner and a Movie” to be held on Friday, September 12, from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Jefferson Middle School. They will be showing “The Lego Movie” (show time at 7:30 pm) and have food trucks, music and other fun activities. Please see the linked flyer for more information.
Enjoy the week!
--GHS PTSA Board