Hope you enjoyed all the fun activities of last week’s Homecoming. Congratulations to the Varsity Football on their big victory over Marshall Fundamental on Friday’s Homecoming game, holding them scoreless with a final score of 63-0! Way to go!
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. Specific GHS PTSA events are noted below in blue. Plus check out the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) -- we’re adding new content all the time!
- Monday, Sept. 29: It’s the last week to sign up for the PSAT Exam. Sales end this Friday, Oct. 3rd. Students can sign up at the window outside the Student Center before school, at lunch, or after school until 3:15. Each exam is $20. Please bring exact change or a check payable to GHS. All sales are final. Exam will be administered on Wednesday, October 15, 2014. Parents and/or students should contact their respective GHS counselor if you have questions.
- Monday, Sept. 29: Are you interested in playing Boys Volleyball this coming season? Then attend a meeting today in Room B211 during lunch. Stop by afterschool if you cannot attend the lunch meeting.
- Tuesday, Sept. 30: GHS Girls Golf v. South Pasadena, at Alhambra golf course, 2:30 pm.
- Tuesday, Sept. 30: ELD Meeting, 6:00 pm, B105.
- Tuesday, Sept. 30: Dog Haus Fundraiser (every Tuesday): Stop by the Dog Haus with locations in Alhambra and Pasadena any Tuesday during the school year, present the attached flyer and a portion of the sale will support the school.
- Wednesday, Oct. 1: Girls Volleyball v. El Monte, Varsity at 3:15 pm, Large Gym and JV game follows; Freshmen team v. San Gabriel at 4:30 pm, Small Gym.
- Wednesday, Oct. 1: GHS “College Information & Financial Aid” Night, 6:30 pm, Goodson Theatre and other locations. This is especially important for Juniors and Seniors as the college application process and financial aid information will be discussed. Please see attached flyer for more information.
- Thursday, Oct. 2: If you’d like to play Boys Basketball, attend a meeting today in Coach Carney’s Room B157 at 12:30 pm. If you cannot make the meeting, see Coach Carney.
- Thursday, Oct. 2: GHS JV Football v. South El Monte, 3:15 pm.
Keep these in mind for next week:
- Wednesday, Oct. 8: GHS PTSA Board meeting, 7:00 pm, Library.
- Thursday, Oct. 9: GHS Vision and Screening Day.
Lastly, a few other announcements and reminders:
Calling all GHS artists to participate in the GHS PTSA 2014 Reflections Program. With the theme “The world would be a better place if …,” students can submit an original piece in any of the following six (6) areas: dance choreography; film production; literature; music composition; photography; and visual arts. Submission deadline is November 3rd in the Student Center. For more detailed information, please go to: http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/reflections.html.
Registration is open to all GHS student who want to be a Cabin Leader for the 5th Grade Science Camp in December. For more information, download the Science Camp Registration Packet and information sheet from your Blueprint account.
New state standards (Common Core State Standards) have been implemented this year for all K-12 California students. California universities and colleges (UC, CSU, CCC, and AICCU) have come out in support of the new standards. UC and CSU have even updated their “a-g” admissions requirements to align with the new standards. To learn more, visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/common-core-state-standards-ccss.html)
Save the Date for a Shakey’s Fundraiser for the Gabrielino Eagles Marching Regiment to be held on Wednesday, October 8, 5:00 to 9:00 pm. Please see attached flyer for more information.
Finally, don’t forget that the GHS Speech & Debate Boosters is hosting a Goodwill Fundraiser on October 11, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. See flyer for more information.
The San Gabriel Educational Foundation (SEF) Board of Directors invite you to a Fall Friendraising event, "Feast from the East" on Saturday, October 18th at the home of Irfan and Lori Husein. You'll experience a relaxed evening of great food, music and wonderful company. For reservations and to purchase tickets, please contact the SEF office at (626) 451-5465.
For additional events and other news regarding GHS, please visit the school website at: http://www.gabrielino.sgusd.k12.ca.us/.
Enjoy the week!
--GHS PTSA Board