Just a reminder that the California High School Exit Exam or “CAHSEE” will be administered this Tuesday and Wednesday, March 17 and 18 for all GHS Sophomores (GHS Freshmen students will take a practice exam). Testing will occur from 8:00 am to 11:15 am.
During testing, GHS Juniors may take on March 17 either the ASVAB exam for free or the Hybrid SAT/ACT practice exam for $5; and attend a series of college and career workshops on March 18 (please sign up on your Blueprint).
And GHS Seniors during testing can take post-high school workshops on March 18. All Seniors are also required to attend the Senior Assembly at 10:00 am on March 18. Graduation and all end-of-year events will be covered at this Assembly.
Congratulations to the GHS Speech and Debate team who competed this past weekend at the East Los Angeles/Orange County National Qualifying Tournament and qualified 16 students for the National Speech and Debate Association’s 90th annual National Championship Tournament, the world’s largest academic competition. As a result, GHS qualified their 200th student to Nationals in only the 21st year as a school. Quite a feat for the Screamin’ Eagles!
Finally, do you have your ticket yet for the SEF-A-Palooza Gala to be held this Friday, March 20th at the San Gabriel Hilton Hotel? If not, tickets are still available online at SEFfor8schools.org. It will be an evening of fun, food and friendship … all to support our wonderful SGUSD students! And GHS parent and GHS PTSA Executive Vice-President Russ Martin will be honored at the event as one of this year’s “Jewels of the Districts”—so come show your support!
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for the regularly updated news and information!
- Tuesday, March 17: CAHSEE Testing for 10th graders, 8:00 am to 11:15 am. After testing, ALL students will go to 4th, 5th and 6th periods. 4th period begins at 11:30 am.
- Tuesday, March 17: GHS Boys Volleyball v. La Salle, Large Gym. Varsity plays at 3:15 pm, JV team plays at 4:45 pm.
- Tuesday, March 17: Dog Haus Fundraiser for GHS PTSA (every Tuesday): See flyer for more information
- Wednesday, March 18: CAHSEE Testing for 10th graders, 8:00 am to 11:15 am. After testing, ALL students will go to 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods. 1st period begins at 11:30 am.
- Wednesday, March 18: GHS Baseball v. Ganesha, Varsity team plays here at 3:15 pm.
- Wednesday, March 18: GHS School Site Council Meeting, 6:00 pm, Principals’ Conference Room.
- Thursday, March 19: GHS Swim v. Keppel, 3: 15 pm at Smith Park.
- Thursday, March 19: GHS Track and Field v. El Monte, 3:15 pm.
- Thursday, March 19: GHS Boys Volleyball v. St. Monica, Large Gym. JV team plays at 5:00 pm, Varsity team plays at 6:00 pm.
- Friday, March 20: GHS Reports Card to be sent home.
- Friday, March 20: Deadline for GHS Seniors to submit Scholarship Applications for First District PTA Commemorative Scholarship and GHS PTSA Scholarships. See link for further information: http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/scholarships.html.
Please keep these in mind for the next few weeks:
- Tuesday, March 24: GHS Course Registration for current 8th Graders, 7:00 pm at the Goodson Theatre.
- Thursday, March 26: GHS Open House & Art Expo and GHS PTSA Association Meeting, 5:30 to 8:00 pm, starting in the Large Gym.
- Monday, March 30 to Friday, April 3: Spring Break.
Thank you and enjoy the week!
--GHS PTSA Board