Special Needs Seminar, March 1! The GHS PTSA and San Gabriel Special Needs Committee invite you to this Parent Seminar and “A Learning Disabilities Simulation” Workshop! A learning disabilities simulator will be available so that you can Experience Dyslexia® (Spanish and Mandarin translation available). For more information, go to http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Any applications you gotta fill out? GET ESSAY HELP! The Restorative English Workshop is dedicated to providing that help (and snacks) every Monday and Wednesday, 3 – 4:30 in Room B115. DO IT!
I know it’s not even Spring, yet, but let’s talk about Summer!
- Summer Internships & Programs
- 2016 Facebook Summary Academy – Work at Facebook, basically! Must be a junior or senior. Application due February 15. http://facebooksummeracademy.com/eligibility-3/about-3/
- The High School Apprenticeship Program (HSAP) – Work with the U.S. Army in science and engineering research. Must be a junior or senior. Application due February 15. http://www.usaeop.com/programs/apprenticeships/hsap/
- By the way, SEF Summer Academy is going to be from June 6 – July 8.
The Speech Boosters are holding a Yard Sale on Sunday, February 21 from 8 am to 2 pm at 424 Milton Drive, San Gabriel. Come pick up a treasure!
The Speech & Debate Team Needs Your Help (!) with Clothes for the Cause at Gabrielino on Saturday, March 5, starting at 11 am! Clean out your closets and donate your shoes, clothes, clothing accessories, drapes, sheets, curtains, towels, and blankets! Thank you!
MEChA de LMU’s 19th Annual Raza High School Conference is March 12 from 11 am–7 pm, free. The Conference aims to empower the youth in our local communities as they grow and develop into the conscientious citizens and community leaders of tomorrow. Open to ALL high school students regardless of ethnic or racial background. Space is limited, so register by March 6. http://mechadelmu.wix.com/mecha-de-lmu#!high-school-conference/c80l
SCHOLARSHIPS! Information and applications for these are available on the Gab PTSA website and are due March 18 to the Student Center! http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
- First District PTA Commemorative Scholarships - $500 each. (Use the FD 2016 Scholarship Application)
- Community Service
- School Related Activities
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Work Experience
- Extenuating Circumstances
- The GHS PTSA Mary Winchell Service Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. Emphasis will be placed on community service. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
- The GHS PTSA Eagle Pride Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
E-Waste Event! The Gabrielino Athletic Boosters are hosting an e-waste event in the parking lot on March 19 from 9 am-1 pm. Unclutter your workspace and bring all your electronic gadgets that served you well… seven years ago!
The Athletics Boosters & SG Special Needs Committee 2016 Charity Golf Tournament is on April 23, Saturday, at San Dimas Golf Course! Registration at 6 am. Shot-gun start at 7 am. $150 per player includes 18 holes of golf, cart, lunch, awards, and prizes! To register for this event, fill out the form link on the PTSA website. Registration deadline is March 26. http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for regularly updated news and information!
- Monday, February 8: Lincoln’s Birthday! NO SCHOOL!
- Tuesday, February 9: NOTE – The Library is closing at 4 pm today.
- Wednesday, February 10: Girls Frosh Basketball @ Northview at 6 pm, 1016 W. Cypress St., Covina, 91722
- Thursday, February 11: Soccer v. Rosemead = LAST GAMES of the SEASON! *Sniff!*
- HERE: Boys Varsity & JV at 3:15
- Away: Girls Varsity & JV at 3:15
- Thursday, February 11: English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC) Meeting at 6 pm in the Library/Media Center
- Friday, February 12: Basketball v. Rosemead = LAST GAMES o’ the SEASON! [Whimper]
- HERE: Boys JV at 3:15, Boys Frosh at 4:45, Girls Frosh at 6
- Away: Girls JV at 3:15, Girls Varsity at 4:45, Boys Varsity at 6:30
- Friday, February 12: Girls Soccer Cancer Awareness Night! Non-league games v. Mark Keppel, JV at 4, Varsity at 6
- Saturday, February 13: Cheer!, AMP Showcase @ Downey High School, 11040 Brookshire Ave., Downey, 90241
Here are some of the events that are happening next week:
- Monday, February 15: President’s Day! NO SCHOOL!
- Wednesday, February 17: Late Start Day, classes begin at 9:40 am. All students must arrive on campus by 9:30 am.
- Wednesday, February 17: School Site Council (SSC) Meeting at 6 pm in the Principal’s Conference Room
- Thursday, February 18: The Gab Choir presents KARAOKE NIGHT (!) at 5 pm in the Small Gym. Tickets are $5 from any Choir member, or $7 at the door. (There will be pizza and snacks available for purchase.) You goin’? I’m goin’!
- Friday, February 19: FIESTA FRIDAY! 3 tacos or 1 quesadilla (drink included) for $5. Buy your food ticket from any ASB member.
- Saturday, February 20: Young Men in Harmony @ Orange Coast College, 2701 Fairview Rd., Costa Mesa, 92626
- Saturday, February 20: Speech & Debate!
- Debate @ Damien High School, National Qualifiers, 2280 Damien Ave., La Verne, 91750
- Speech Novice @ Long Beach Poly, 1600 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90813
Thank you and Happy Valentines Day!
-- GHS PTSA Board
P.S. GAB WEEK IS COMING!