In the spirit of the Super Bowl, we wanted to share some news about the super achievements from our GHS students – here’s a few from recent weeks:
- Charlie Tran received an Award of Excellence (2nd place) at the First District Level for his Literature submission entitled “Life After Death” in the California PTA “Reflections” Program. Charlie will be recognized at the Feb. 7th First District PTA Award Ceremony. You can read his wonderful submission here: http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/uploads/2/1/8/1/21817264/literature_1st_place_charlie_tran.pdf.
- Competing against 94 other schools from around the nation, the GHS Speech Team placed 2nd place overall in the MLK Jr. Invitational held at the James Logan High School. Way to go Screamin’ Eagles!
- GHS Students Aaron Lee and Hugo So, known as Team 8564 Lockdown, competed in their second Los Angeles FIRST Tech Challenge Qualifying Tournament held at Venice High School and won the Judges Award and the Finalist Alliance Award. They now advance to the LA Regional Championship to be held at Monrovia High School on Feb 14, 2015. Great job and Good Luck!
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for the regularly updated news and information!
- Monday, Feb. 2: GHS Basketball v. South El Monte, 3:15 pm – 8:00 pm. Girls JV play at 3:15 pm, Girls Varsity team at 4:45 pm, and Boys Varsity play at 6:30 pm.
- Tuesday, Feb. 3: GHS Boys Soccer v. El Monte at 3:15 pm, JV and Varsity teams play.
- Tuesday, Feb. 3: Parent Empowerment Seminar regarding “Supporting Collegiate Goals of Our Children,” 7:00 – 8:30 pm. The presentation will conducted in Spanish with English translation, if needed. Please see flyer for more information.
- Tuesday, Feb. 3: Dog Haus Fundraiser for GHS PTSA (every Tuesday): See flyer for more information.
- Wednesday, Feb. 4: GHS Basketball v. El Monte, 3:15 pm – 8:00 pm. Boys JV play at 3:15 pm and Boys Freshman team at 4:45 pm.
- Wednesday, Feb. 4: GHS PTSA Board Meeting, 7:00 pm, Library/Media Center.
- Thursday, Feb. 5: GHS Girls Soccer v. Mountain View, 3:15 pm. JV and Varsity teams play.
- Thursday, Feb. 5: Parent Information Night (for current 9th, 10th and 11th graders), 7:00 – 9:00 pm, Goodson Theatre, Library and various rooms.
- Friday, Feb. 6: GHS Basketball v. Mountain View, 3:15 pm – 8:00 pm. Girls JV play at 3:15 pm, Girls Varsity at 4:45 pm and the Boys Varsity team at 6:30 pm.
Keep these in mind for next week:
- Monday, Feb. 9: No School – Lincoln’s Birthday holiday.
- Wednesday, Feb.11: Late Start Day. 1st period begins at 9:40 am. All students must be on campus by 9:30 am.
- Thursday, Feb.12: GHS Girls Soccer /Cancer Awareness Night, 3:30 – 8:00 pm. Come support the Lady Eagles as they battle Rosemead High and help with the battle of cancer. Hawaiian style barbeque, t-shirts, blankets and other items will be on sale. All proceeds will be donated to Cancer Research.
--GHS PTSA Board