First semester finals are this week, beginning on Wednesday. Each day’s schedule is as follows: 1st final takes place from 8:00 am to 10:00 am, and the 2nd final takes place from 10:15 am to 12:15 pm (early dismissal). Students will not be called out of class for any reason during finals. Also, the Library will close at 4:00 pm on Wednesday and Thursday, and at 2:00 pm on Friday. We are on regular school schedule today and Tuesday.
Congratulations to Sophomore Aaron Lee and Freshman Hugo So on winning the Rockwell Collins Innovate Award and the Finalist Alliance Award at the Los Angeles FIRST Tech Challenge Qualifying Tournament. Aaron, Hugo and their robot were pictured in the Pasadena Star News website on December 7th.
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for the more news and information!
- Monday, Dec.15: GHS Drama is selling Venetian Mardi Gras Masks today at lunch at the lobby of the Goodson Theatre, as well as afterschool today through Wednesday. Funds will support the Gab musicals. Prices are $6 - $10 per mask.
- Monday, Dec.15: Tryouts for Track & Field distance, throws and pole vault will continue today at 3:00 pm. Check the Career Center window for the list of those invited back for the second round. See Mr. Marnell in the Student Center if you have any questions.
- Monday, Dec.15: The last day for GHS Softball tryouts will be held today from 3:00 to 5:00 pm at the Softball field.
- Monday, Dec.15: GHS Choir Winter Holiday Concert, 7:00 pm, Goodson Theatre.
- Tuesday, Dec. 16: GHS Girls Soccer v. Marshall at 3:15 pm, JV and Varsity teams play.
- Tuesday, Dec. 16: Dog Haus Fundraiser for GHS PTSA (every Tuesday): See flyer for more information.
- Wednesday, Dec. 17: First Semester Finals for Periods 1 and 4.
- Thursday, Dec. 18: First Semester Finals for Periods 2 and 5.
- Thursday, Dec. 18: Solar Panel Stakeholder Meeting, 12:30 pm. Goodson Theatre. Solar panels will be installed at GHS in 2015. Superintendent Dr. David Yoshihara, district facility staff, and representatives from the company contracted to do the installation are holding a meeting to answer questions. The meeting has been scheduled to address faculty, staff and administrative concerns. Parents and student groups are invited to attend as well.
- Friday, Dec. 19: First Semester Finals for Periods 3 and 6.
Keep these in mind for next few weeks:
- Monday, Dec. 22 to Friday, Jan. 2: No school - GHS Winter Break.
- Monday, Jan. 5: No school – GHS Grading Day.
- Tuesday, Jan. 6: School Resumes – Start of Second Semester.
Other news and announcements:
- Do you have questions about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and obtaining affordable, quality health insurance? The GHS PTSA is sponsoring an ACA Information Night on Thursday, January 8 at 7pm in the Goodson Theatre. Certified Enrollment Counselors will explain the options available under Covered California, the state ACA insurance market place, Medi-Cal, California's Medicaid health care program and My Health L.A., a no-cost health care program for low-income LA residents (e.g. undocumented residents) who do not qualify for health insurance plans offered by the state. See flyer for more details.
- To all GHS Seniors: FAFSA and Dream Act applications will be available online beginning on Januray 1st. You do not need to submit the application unless noted by the college or university. Please see College and Career Center for any questions.
- The San Gabriel Educational Foundation will be hosting its “SEFapalooza Gift-Card Gathering” on January 23, 2015 at the San Gabriel Hilton Hotel. Please see attached flyer for more information.
--GHS PTSA Board