As second semester begins, many students face the pressure of making important decisions – what colleges they will attend, which sports they want to play, and who they will go to prom with. However, sometimes it is impossible to know what the future may hold or whether our choices will lead us to where we want to be. This year, our theme is “Life: The Unexpected Journey.” Come join us during lunch in the Goodson Theater from January 13th to the 17th as we showcase the many unique figures that make up the Gabrielino community.
Here are some of the events that are happening this week:
- Monday, January 13: “Gab Talks” is back. All this week you can come to the Goodson Theatre at lunch to hear speakers talk about events that changed their lives.
- Tuesday, January 14: Dog Haus Fundraiser (every Tuesday): Our fundraising at the Dog Haus continues. It’s located at 410 E. Main St., Alhambra and if you mention that you’re with GHS, a portion of the sale will support the school.
- Tuesday, January 14: Boys Soccer play at home v. Rosemead, starts at 3:15 pm.
- Wednesday, January 15: Late Start Day. All students need to arrive to school by 9:30 am, and classes begin at 9:40 am.
- Wednesday, January 15: Boys Basketball play at home v. Rosemead, Large Gym (JV team plays at 3:15 pm, Freshmen at 4:45 pm).
- Wednesday, January 15: Girls Freshmen Basketball play at home v. San Marino, Small Gym at 6:30 pm.
- Wednesday, January 15: GHS School Site Council meeting, 6 pm, Principal’s Conference room.
- Thursday, January 16: Boys Soccer play at home v. Arroyo, starts at 3:15 pm.
- Thursday, January 16: Wrestling team competes at home v. Mountain View, Small Gym at 3:15 pm.
- Thursday, January 16: Parent Seminar, “PSAT Interpretation and Financial Aid Night,” 6:30 pm. Goodson Theatre. The PSAT scores will be handed out and the staff will be on hand to provide valuable information and answer questions about the test.
- Friday, January 17: Boys Basketball play at home v. Arroyo, Large Gym (JV team plays at 3:15 pm, Freshmen at 4:45 pm).
- Monday, Jan. 20: No school (Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday)
- Wednesday, Jan. 22: 4th Annual SGUSD Students/Ovarian Cancer Night. The GHS Basketball program is hosting its 4th Annual “Ovarian Cancer Night” starting at 4:30 pm to raise money for the USC Comprehensive Cancer Fund. Admission is free to all SGUSD students to watch both the Boys and Girls Basketball teams battle Mountain View. All proceeds from the snack bar, 50/50 raffle and t-shirt sales will be donated to this importance cause. Donations can be made at the game and can be made via cash or check. Please wear a black shirt to “Black Out” Ovarian Cancer.
- The San Gabriel Education Foundation (SEF) will be hosting it “Gift-Card Gathering Cocktail Party” on Saturday, January 25th at the San Gabriel Hilton Hotel as it gets ready for its annual SEFapalooza event. For more information, please see attached flyer.
- To all GHS Seniors and their families: Cash for College Day is coming! On Saturday, Febrary 1st, GHS will hold three (3) workshops providing free one-on-one financial aid assistance for families completing the FAFSA or California Dream Act applications. You can register for this event beginning on Monday, January 13, through your Blueprint account. See attached flyer and stop by the College and Career Center if you have any questions.
--GHS PTSA Board