Open enrollment for the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is going on now: November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015. The GHS PTSA is committed to ensuring that all our students and their families have access to quality health care, because healthy children make better learners! As such, we are partnering with Cover LA to ensure that San Gabriel families are able to access up-to-date information about the new health insurance plans available under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including Medi-Cal coverage. On Saturday, December 6 from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, GHS PTSA will host a “Covered California & Medi-Cal Enrollment Event” on campus. Certified enrollers will be available who speak English, Mandarin, Spanish and Vietnamese. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
The GHS PTSA Reflections Committee also proudly congratulates the following winners in this year’s competition with the theme “The world would be a better place if ….”: in the Visual Arts category, 1st place goes to Victoria Cheng, The Basics; 2nd place to Olivia Ponce, Be the Change; and 3rd place to Grant Kirchhoff, Story Telling. In the category of Literature, 1st place goes to Charlie Tran, Life After Death; 2nd place to Gabriela Pacheco, and 3rd place to Philip Ambrose Castillo, Labels. First place winners in each category will advance to the PTA District level so best of luck to Victoria and Charlie! Thank you to all the students, teachers and staff who participated. We also wish to recognize Ms. Hopper and her students for turning in the most entries.
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. Specific GHS PTSA events are noted below in blue and please visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for the latest news and information.
- Monday, Nov. 17: Specific GHS PTSA events are noted below in blue will be held today during 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th periods. The deadline to file all UC and CSU applications is 11:59 pm on Sunday, November 30th. No exceptions! Do not wait until the last minute. Please see your counselor or stop by the College and Career Center for application assistance.
- Monday, Nov. 17: Craving some Krispy Kreme donuts? Buy a dozen from any Boys Basketball player for $10 and your donuts will be delivered to you on Friday afterschool.
- Tuesday, Nov. 18: Dog Haus Fundraiser for GHS PTSA (every Tuesday): See link to flyer for more information.
- Wednesday, Nov. 19: Late Start Day, 1st period begins at 9:40 am. All students must be on campus by 9:30 am.
- Wednesday, Nov. 19: GHS Winter Sports Parent Meeting, 6:00 pm, Small Gym.
- Thursday, Nov. 20: Calling all new and returning swimmers on the GHS Swim team, the first general meeting will be held today in the Goodson Theatre during lunch.
- Friday, Nov. 21: GHS Progress reports to be mailed home.
Keep this in mind for next week:
- Monday, Nov. 24 to Friday, Nov. 28: No School –Thanksgiving Break.
Finally, a few reminders and announcements:
- First semester finals will be held on December 17, 18 and 19.
- On Friday, November 21st, a community fundraiser will be held for fallen Pomona Police Officer Shaun Diamond at the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream shop located at 613 W. Las Tunas Dr., San Gabriel. Officer Diamond was fatally wounded on October 28th while serving a search warrant here in San Gabriel. Come to Baskin Robbins as San Gabriel Police Officers take turns behind the counter from 4:00 until closing. Please support this worthwhile cause! Donations can also be dropped off at the store.
Thank you and have a great week!
--GHS PTSA Board