Special Needs Seminar, Tuesday, March 1, 7-8:30 pm in the Media Center! The GHS PTSA and San Gabriel Special Needs Committee invite you to this Parent Seminar and “A Learning Disabilities Simulation” Workshop! A learning disabilities simulator will be available so that you can Experience Dyslexia® (Spanish and Mandarin translation available). For more information, see the GHS website, or go to http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Gabrielino PTSA Monthly Meeting, Wednesday, March 2, 7 pm in the Media Center (Library): Come join our lively PTSA meeting this Wednesday. Better yet, join us AND volunteer to fill one of the open positions on the 2016-2017 PTSA Board! We can’t wait to meet you! Please see the attachment listing our current Board nominations and open Board positions!
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: The CDE Lawsuit has to do with the release of confidential student records. The California Department of Education (CDE) has been ordered by the United States District Court to release all data it has on students since 1/1/2008.
The San Gabriel Unified School District has posted links for more information, including a form that says that you don’t want to release your student records to the U.S. District Court. You must be 18 years old or older to sign the form, and it must be signed and mailed in by April 1, 2016. Please see the District Announcements at http://www.sgusd.k12.ca.us/
The Speech & Debate Team Needs Your Help (!) with Clothes for the Cause at Gabrielino on Saturday, March 5, from 11 am-12 pm! Clean out your closets and donate your shoes, clothes, clothing accessories, drapes, sheets, curtains, towels, and blankets! Thank you!
4th Special Needs Conference for Parents, Teachers and Administrators! The South Pasadena Council PTA Special Needs Committee and the South Pasadena Unified School District are presenting their 4th Conference on Saturday, March 12, from 8:30 am – 12:30 pm. Please see information and links to register for the Conference at www.spp4snc.com
MEChA de LMU’s 19th Annual Raza High School Conference is March 12 from 11 am–7 pm, free. The Conference aims to empower the youth in our local communities as they grow and develop into the conscientious citizens and community leaders of tomorrow. Open to ALL high school students regardless of ethnic or racial background. Space is limited, so register by March 6. http://mechadelmu.wix.com/mecha-de-lmu#!high-school-conference/c80l
SCHOLARSHIPS! Information and applications for these are available on the Gab PTSA website and are due March 18 to the Student Center! http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
- First District PTA Commemorative Scholarships - $500 each. (Use the FD 2016 Scholarship Application)
- Community Service
- School Related Activities
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Work Experience
- Extenuating Circumstances
- The GHS PTSA Mary Winchell Service Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. Emphasis will be placed on community service. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
- The GHS PTSA Eagle Pride Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
E-Waste Event! The Gabrielino Athletic Boosters are hosting an e-waste event in the parking lot on March 19 from 9 am-1 pm. Unclutter your workspace and bring all your electronic gadgets that served you well… seven years ago!
The Athletics Boosters & SG Special Needs Committee 2016 Charity Golf Tournament is on April 23, Saturday, at San Dimas Golf Course! Registration at 6 am. Shot-gun start at 7 am. $150 per player includes 18 holes of golf, cart, lunch, awards, and prizes! To register for this event, fill out the form link on the PTSA website. Registration deadline is March 26. http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for regularly updated news and information!
- Tuesday, March 1: SPECIAL NEEDS SEMINAR from 7-8:30 pm in the Media Center. Learn what it’s like to have Dyslexia in the the Experience Dyslexia Simluator and workstations!
- Wednesday, March 2: Baseball v. Marshall at 3:15, Varsity HERE, JV away (No Frosh game today)
- Wednesday, March 2: Softball @ Montebello at 3:30
- Wednesday, March 2: The fabulous monthly PTSA meeting! 7 pm in the Libe! All are welcome!
- Thursday, March 3: Boys Golf v. Schurr at 2:30 at the Montebello Golf Course, 901 Via San Clemente, Montebello, 90640
- Thursday, March 3: Swim Meet at 3:15 @ The Rosemead Aquatic Center, 9155 Mission Dr., Rosemead, 91770
- Thursday, March 3: Track & Field (Practice Meet!) v. Temple City at 3:15
- Friday, March 4: Baseball v. Arroyo at 3:15, Varsity HERE, JV and Frosh away.
- Saturday, March 5: Speech State Qualifiers @ Schurr High School, 820 N. Wilcox Ave., Montebello, 90640
- Saturday, March 5: Fundraiser for the Speech & Debate Team from 11 am – 12 pm! Clothes for a Cause – Donate clothes, accessories and all other textiles (towels, sheets, drapery, etc.)
Here are some of the events that are happening next week:
- Tuesday, March 8: Boys Golf v. Temple City at 2:30 at Alhambra Golf Course
- Tuesday, March 8: Swim Meet @ Temple City at 3:15, 9501 Lemon Ave., Temple City, 91780
- Wednesday, March 9: LATE START DAY! All students need to be on campus by 9:30!
- Wednesday, March 9: Baseball v. South El Monte at 3:15, JV and Frosh HERE, Varsity away.
- Wednesday, March 9: Softball v. South Pasadena at 3:30, Varsity HERE, JV away – 1401 Fremont St., South Pasadena, 91030
- Wednesday, March 9: Parent Seminar Workshop – CAASPP Testing Program! 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre!
- Thursday, March 10: Boys Golf v. Schurr at 3 at the Montebello Golf Course, 901 Via San Clemente, Montebello, 90640
- Thursday, March 10: Swim Meet at 3:15 v. Alhambra, HERE (Smith Park, 232 W. Broadway, San Gabriel 91776)
- Thursday, March 10: Track & Field Tri-Meet v. Azusa and Marshall at Pasadena High School, 2925 E. Sierra Madre Blvd., Pasadena, 91107
- Friday, March 11: Speech National Qualifiers @ San Marino High School through Saturday, 2701 Huntington Dr., San Marino, 91108
- Friday, March 11: Baseball v. El Monte at 3:15, Varsity HERE, JV and Frosh away
- Saturday, March 12: Speech National Qualifiers @ San Marino High School, 2701 Huntington Dr., San Marino, 91108
- Saturday, March 12: Track & Field - It’s the Rosemead Invitational! Details TBA
Thank you and enjoy (and participate in) Gab Week 2016!
-- GHS PTSA Board