Congratulations, Alan Lee and Jason Ma! They are National Merit Scholarship Finalists who have met or exceeded California’s index score on this year’s PSAT/NMSQT! [Hearty applause.]
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: The CDE Lawsuit has to do with the release of confidential student records. The California Department of Education (CDE) has been ordered by the United States District Court to release all data it has on students since 1/1/2008.
The San Gabriel Unified School District has posted links for more information, including a form that says that you don’t want to release your student records to the U.S. District Court. You must be 18 years old or older to sign the form, and it must be signed and mailed in by April 1, 2016. Please see the District Announcements at http://www.sgusd.k12.ca.us/
Parent Seminar Workshop, this Wednesday (2/24) at 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre – This week’s Seminar is on “The Next Generation of Science Standards”. As always, live translation is provided. See you there!
Special Needs Seminar, March 1! The GHS PTSA and San Gabriel Special Needs Committee invite you to this Parent Seminar and “A Learning Disabilities Simulation” Workshop! A learning disabilities simulator will be available so that you can Experience Dyslexia® (Spanish and Mandarin translation available). For more information, go to http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
The Speech & Debate Team Needs Your Help (!) with Clothes for the Cause at Gabrielino on Sunday, March 6, from 10 am-2 pm! Clean out your closets and donate your shoes, clothes, clothing accessories, drapes, sheets, curtains, towels, and blankets! Thank you!
MEChA de LMU’s 19th Annual Raza High School Conference is March 12 from 11 am–7 pm, free. The Conference aims to empower the youth in our local communities as they grow and develop into the conscientious citizens and community leaders of tomorrow. Open to ALL high school students regardless of ethnic or racial background. Space is limited, so register by March 6. http://mechadelmu.wix.com/mecha-de-lmu#!high-school-conference/c80l
SCHOLARSHIPS! Information and applications for these are available on the Gab PTSA website and are due March 18 to the Student Center! http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
- First District PTA Commemorative Scholarships - $500 each. (Use the FD 2016 Scholarship Application)
- Community Service
- School Related Activities
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Work Experience
- Extenuating Circumstances
- The GHS PTSA Mary Winchell Service Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. Emphasis will be placed on community service. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
- The GHS PTSA Eagle Pride Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
E-Waste Event! The Gabrielino Athletic Boosters are hosting an e-waste event in the parking lot on March 19 from 9 am-1 pm. Unclutter your workspace and bring all your electronic gadgets that served you well… seven years ago!
The Athletics Boosters & SG Special Needs Committee 2016 Charity Golf Tournament is on April 23, Saturday, at San Dimas Golf Course! Registration at 6 am. Shot-gun start at 7 am. $150 per player includes 18 holes of golf, cart, lunch, awards, and prizes! To register for this event, fill out the form link on the PTSA website. Registration deadline is March 26. http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for regularly updated news and information!
- Wednesday, February 24: Parent Seminar Workshop: The Next Generation of Science Standards at 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre.
- Friday, February 26: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach, 11 am – 10 pm. Goes on through Sunday (2/28), 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Friday, February 26: The GHS Professional Actors Workshop presents the Pulitzer Prize-winning play: The Diary of Anne Frank. Two performances today: 3:30 and 7 in the Goodson Theatre.
- Friday & Saturday, February 26 & 27: CIF Girls’ Wrestling at the Visalia Convention Center, 303 E. Acequia Ave., Visalia, 93291
- Saturday, February 27: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach, 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Saturday, February 27: Baseball (!) v. Rosemead today at 3:15
- HERE: JV and Frosh
- NOTE: All Frosh “home” games will be at the beautiful Jess Gonzalez Sports Complex, 8471 Klingerman St., Rosemead, 91770, at the corner of Walnut Grove Ave. and Klingerman St.
- Away: Varsity
- HERE: JV and Frosh
- Saturday, February 27: FIRST Tech Challenge (Robotics) Regional Championships at Monrovia High School, 845 W. Colorado Blvd., Monrovia, 91016
- Saturday, February 27: The GHS Professional Actors Workshop presents: The Diary of Anne Frank. It’s a drama. Playing today at 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre.
- Sunday, February 28: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach. 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Sunday, February 28: The GHS Professional Actors Workshop presents: The Diary of Anne Frank. 3:30 matinee only. DON’T MISS IT!
Here are some of the events that are happening next week:
- Wednesday, March (what?!) 2: Baseball v. Marshall at 3:15, Varsity HERE, JV away (No Frosh game today)
- Wednesday, March 2: The fabulous monthly PTSA meeting! 7 pm in the Libe! All are welcome!
- Thursday, March 3: Swim Meet at 3:15 @ The Rosemead Aquatic Center, 9155 Mission Dr., Rosemead, 91770
- Thursday, March 3: Track & Field v. Temple City at 3:15. I don’t know where, yet, but it’s a practice meet.
- Friday, March 4: Baseball v. Arroyo at 3:15, Varsity HERE, JV and Frosh away.
- Saturday, March 5: Speech State Qualifiers @ Schurr High School, 820 N. Wilcox Ave., Montebello, 90640
- Sunday, March 6: Fundraiser for the Speech & Debate Team! Clothes for a Cause – Donate clothes, accessories and all other textiles (towels, sheets, drapery, etc.)
Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow!
-- GHS PTSA Board