Special Needs Seminar, March 1! The GHS PTSA and San Gabriel Special Needs Committee invite you to this Parent Seminar and “A Learning Disabilities Simulation” Workshop! A learning disabilities simulator will be available so that you can Experience Dyslexia® (Spanish and Mandarin translation available). For more information, go to http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
CONGRATULATIONS to (Robotics) Team Lockdown 8564 and Ms. Borjas! Aaron Lee, Hugo So, Leon Tran, and Lloyd Kwan, aka Team Lockdown 8564, participated in the Los Angeles Regional FIRST Tech Challenge Qualifying Tournament at Perris High School on January 30-31 and won the Inspire Award for being a role model team! Also, Ms. Borjas won the Compass award for providing outstanding guidance and support for Team Lockdown 8564! They are all advancing to the Regional Championships on February 27 at Monrovia High School!
The Speech Boosters are holding a Yard Sale on Sunday, February 21 from 8 am to 2 pm at 424 Milton Drive, San Gabriel. Come pick up a treasure!
The Speech & Debate Team Needs Your Help (!) with Clothes for the Cause at Gabrielino on Saturday, March 5, starting at 11 am! Clean out your closets and donate your shoes, clothes, clothing accessories, drapes, sheets, curtains, towels, and blankets! Thank you!
MEChA de LMU’s 19th Annual Raza High School Conference is March 12 from 11 am–7 pm, free. The Conference aims to empower the youth in our local communities as they grow and develop into the conscientious citizens and community leaders of tomorrow. Open to ALL high school students regardless of ethnic or racial background. Space is limited, so register by March 6. http://mechadelmu.wix.com/mecha-de-lmu#!high-school-conference/c80l
SCHOLARSHIPS! Information and applications for these are available on the Gab PTSA website and are due March 18 to the Student Center! http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
- First District PTA Commemorative Scholarships - $500 each. (Use the FD 2016 Scholarship Application)
- Community Service
- School Related Activities
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Work Experience
- Extenuating Circumstances
- The GHS PTSA Mary Winchell Service Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. Emphasis will be placed on community service. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
- The GHS PTSA Eagle Pride Scholarship – in various amounts: Based on character, contributions to school and community, and commitment to educational goals. (Use a separate 2016 GHS PTSA Scholarship Application.)
E-Waste Event! The Gabrielino Athletic Boosters are hosting an e-waste event in the parking lot on March 19 from 9 am-1 pm. Unclutter your workspace and bring all your electronic gadgets that served you well… seven years ago!
The Athletics Boosters & SG Special Needs Committee 2016 Charity Golf Tournament is on April 23, Saturday, at San Dimas Golf Course! Registration at 6 am. Shot-gun start at 7 am. $150 per player includes 18 holes of golf, cart, lunch, awards, and prizes! To register for this event, fill out the form link on the PTSA website. Registration deadline is March 26. http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org
Listed below are some of the events happening this week at GHS. GHS PTSA events are listed in blue. Please also visit the GHS PTSA website (http://www.gabrielinoptsa.org/) for regularly updated news and information!
- Monday, February 15: Presidents Day! NO SCHOOL!
- Wednesday, February 17: Late Start Day, classes begin at 9:40 am. All students must arrive on campus by 9:30 am.
- Wednesday, February 17: School Site Council (SSC) Meeting at 6 pm in the Principal’s Conference Room
- Thursday, February 18: The Gab Choir presents KARAOKE NIGHT (!) at 5 pm in the Small Gym. Tickets are $5 from any Choir member, or $7 at the door. (There will be pizza and snacks available for purchase.) Go ahead! Impress me!
- Friday, February 19: FIESTA FRIDAY! 3 tacos or 1 quesadilla (drink included) for $5. Buy your food ticket from any ASB member.
- Saturday, February 20: Young Men in Harmony @ Orange Coast College, 2701 Fairview Rd., Costa Mesa, 92626
- Saturday, February 20: Speech & Debate!
- Debate @ Damien High School, National Qualifiers, 2280 Damien Ave., La Verne, 91750
- Speech Novice @ Long Beach Poly, 1600 Atlantic Ave., Long Beach, 90813
Here are some of the events that are happening next week:
- Wednesday, February 24: Parent Seminar Workshop: The Next Generation of Science Standards at 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre.
- Friday, February 26: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach, 11 am – 10 pm. Goes on through Sunday (2/28), 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Friday, February 26: The GHS Drama Club presents the Pulitzer Prize-winning play: The Diary of Anne Frank. Two performances today: 3:30 and 7 in the Goodson Theatre.
- Saturday, February 27: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach, prolly all day wouldn’t you think? 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Saturday, February 27: Lawd have mercy, BASEBALL SEASON is finally here! Playing Rosemead today at 3:15
- HOME: JV and Frosh
- NOTE: All Frosh “home” games will be at the beautiful Jess Gonzalez Sports Complex, 8471 Klingerman St., Rosemead, 91770, at the corner of Walnut Grove Ave. and Klingerman St.
- Away: Varsity
- HOME: JV and Frosh
- Saturday, February 27: FIRST Tech Challenge (Robotics) Regional Championships at Monrovia High School, 845 W. Colorado Blvd., Monrovia, 91016
- Saturday, February 27: The GHS Drama Club presents: The Diary of Anne Frank. It’s a drama. Playing today at 7 pm in the Goodson Theatre.
- Sunday, February 28: Speech State Qualifiers @ Cal State Long Beach. 1250 Bellflower Blvd., Long Beach, 90840
- Sunday, February 28: The GHS Drama Club presents: The Diary of Anne Frank. 3:30 matinee only. DON’T MISS IT!
Thank you and, HEY! Have some fun, will ya?
-- GHS PTSA Board
P.S. GAB WEEK IS AROUND THE CORNER